The creation of non standard presentations for Lists/Libraries is a fairly common scenario and using the XSLT List View Web Part (XLV) possibilities that can be achieved pretty easily.
Let’s take a look how to render list of question and answers using Accordion Menu in SharePoint. Actually the idea for this post appeared after posting of corresponding question on StackOverflow.
So, let’s discuss how it could be accomplished using XLV. For Accordion we will utilize jQuery UI library.
FAQ Custom List
First of all, let us define where the questions and answers (FAQ) we’ll be stored. For this we will use Custom List with Content Type.
After creating Custom List we add new View for displaying Accordion for FAQ items
XSLT style sheet for rendering Accordion View
XSLT style sheet for FAQ List is intended for the following purposes:
- loading jQuery Core and UI Libraries
- rendering list items using layout as specified for Accordion menu
- initializing and rendering Accordion for List items
Using jQuery UI Accordion
FAQ List Accordion View rendered in XLV is shown below on picture
The solution described here allows to embed video hosted on YouTube into SharePoint. The same approach may be applied for embedding video from another video hosting sites, for example from Vimeo.
The main idea here to store embedded video properties and not the embedded code itself.
For storing embedded video properties we will use Custom List, see implementation section for description. Page for Video Links list (default view with embedded player) is shown below
In order to embed a video into SharePoint:
- On YouTube site click the Share button located under the video.
- Click the Embed button.
- Copy at least src attribute value provided in the expanded box (see table 1 for supported attributes).
- Create new Video Link item and paste attribute values for embedded code into Video Links item. Save it.
Table 1. Mapping between embedded code iframe attributes and Video Link item
||Video Links field name
Video Links implementation
As was mentioned earlier only properties for embedded video code are stored and not the embedded code itself. For storing embedded video code properties is used Custom List that extends OOB Links List (TemplateType = 103)
For embedded video properties we create Video Link Content Type that inherits from Link CT (0x0105)
where we define the following fields
Pay attention, for rendering YouTube player Computed Field EmbeddedVideoOnForm is intended.
For rendering of a field on a List View the following XSLT style sheet is used
And finally, we create List Definition Video Links from Content Type Video Link. List schema and Template files for Video Links including whole project may be found on GitHub.
- Video Links project on GitHub
- How to embed Vimeo player see here
- How to embed YouTube player see here
- How to customize the rendering of a field in List View see here
Posted in SharePoint 2010
- Tagged Computed Field, Content Type, Custom List, Links List, List Definition, List Schema, List Template, SharePoint, SharePoint 2010, Vimeo, XSLT, YouTube