In previous post we have discussed approach on how to embed video into SharePoint from YouTube. Custom List Video Links were used for storing embedded video properties and Computed Field for rendering Video player.
This time we will extend our solution with the following capabilities:
- Support for different video providers listed in oEmbed
- Preview view for displaying video arranged in list
- Alternative mode for posting the embed code for video into SharePoint
Support for different video providers
In addition to embed code using iframe, another options also available now. Some providers listed in oEmbed specification use object element for embedding code.
Table 1. Support for Video Providers listed in oEmbed specification
Alternative mode for posting embedded code
Additionally to existing mode for embedding video code, the approach described below allows to paste the embed code as it was generated by Provider. Let’s take a look at the common usage scenario:
- Generate and copy the embed code on the Provider website
- Select Embed Code from New Item for Video Links List
- In New Form for Video Links List paste the embed code and fill in comments if needed as shown below
For displaying video player the same (see previous post for details) Computed Field EmbeddedVideoOnForm field is used
Preview view for displaying video
In addition to default view (video player items with details), Preview view is intended to display items arranged by columns as shown below
To paste the embed code we define Embed Code Content Type
where field EmbedCode for storing the embed code is used
As was noted earlier, for displaying video player the same (see previous post for details) Computed Field EmbeddedVideoOnForm field is used, below is presented complete XSLT style sheet for rendering of a field on a List View
The solution described here allows to embed video hosted on YouTube into SharePoint. The same approach may be applied for embedding video from another video hosting sites, for example from Vimeo.
The main idea here to store embedded video properties and not the embedded code itself.
For storing embedded video properties we will use Custom List, see implementation section for description. Page for Video Links list (default view with embedded player) is shown below
In order to embed a video into SharePoint:
- On YouTube site click the Share button located under the video.
- Click the Embed button.
- Copy at least src attribute value provided in the expanded box (see table 1 for supported attributes).
- Create new Video Link item and paste attribute values for embedded code into Video Links item. Save it.
Table 1. Mapping between embedded code iframe attributes and Video Link item
||Video Links field name
Video Links implementation
As was mentioned earlier only properties for embedded video code are stored and not the embedded code itself. For storing embedded video code properties is used Custom List that extends OOB Links List (TemplateType = 103)
For embedded video properties we create Video Link Content Type that inherits from Link CT (0x0105)
where we define the following fields
Pay attention, for rendering YouTube player Computed Field EmbeddedVideoOnForm is intended.
For rendering of a field on a List View the following XSLT style sheet is used
And finally, we create List Definition Video Links from Content Type Video Link. List schema and Template files for Video Links including whole project may be found on GitHub.
- Video Links project on GitHub
- How to embed Vimeo player see here
- How to embed YouTube player see here
- How to customize the rendering of a field in List View see here
Posted in SharePoint 2010
- Tagged Computed Field, Content Type, Custom List, Links List, List Definition, List Schema, List Template, SharePoint, SharePoint 2010, Vimeo, XSLT, YouTube